[arg_discuss] Personal Influences/Antecedents

Jay Bushman jaybushman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 19:05:40 EST 2008

Just getting around to answering this one:

Orson Welles - not just War of the Worlds, which is the obvious
antecedent, but his entire body of work, especially the stage
productions he did in the 30s which were based all around magic and
misdirection.

Stanley Kubrick (esp. Clockwork Orange and Doctor Strangelove) - my
first introduction into the film style that I'd later learn was called
Realism - long takes and deep focus means that the filmmakers are
letting you watch all the bits of the image and not telling you what
you should be looking at. An early form of interactivity, in a sense.

Mike Leigh (esp. Naked) - when I was in film school, I did all of my
projects using Mike Leigh's style - we had no script, and we'd spend
weeks in rehearsal improvising characters and situations until a story
emerged, then we'd boil that down to a written script.

The Clash - the DIY aesthetic

Ian Svenonius (Nation of Ulysses, Soft Focus) - read The Psychic
Soviet - a mind blowing book that shows how you can take a story or
event that everybody agrees happened in the same way, and retell it
completely differently.

David Simon (Homicide, The Corner, The Wire) - the most brilliant,
bracing, arrogant writerly credos ever = "We don't give the audience
what they want. We give them what they need." "Fuck the reader."

I guess what most of these people have in common is they aren't bound
by the conventional "rules" of storytelling.

The Loose-Fish Project: <http:www.loose-fish.com>
The Good Captain: <http://twitter.com/goodcaptain>