[arg_discuss] is ARG just a marketing technique to the press?

Dan Hon dan at sixtostart.com
Thu Jan 10 16:11:09 EST 2008

On 10 Jan 2008, at 19:07, Brian Clark wrote:

>> So, it's hard to get people to invest in IP ownership. You end up

>> persuading investors that they want to be investing in what they see

>> as straight content or, worse, a hits-based business (how do we know

>> you're going to be the next Spielberg?)

> People do it all the time, Dan, in the film space. It is hard to

> imagine the

> true depth of film investment (if you get down to the Mom & Pop

> level) in IP

> from independent filmmakers alone ... I bet it is competitive with

> what the

> entire traditional corporate Hollywood spends in production in as

> well. Not

> just that, but that capital even tends to be less risk adverse --

> someone

> spending $5M investing in a film understands they are taking a long

> shot,

> compared to someone investing $5M in a business (who probably wants

> a surer

> shot than any film investor ever gets.)

Oh, I can definitely imagine that. Just another way in which the
investment markets are all being shook up right now by what we're all
doing in the entertainment space :)

> Different kind of capital raising, though: people understand how you

> make

> money with a film. Show me an example of how you make money with an

> ARG, as

> a default business strategy?

You don't, yet - which is why we're having this conversation :)

> That's the real issue keeping that kind of speculative investment --

> the

> reward side, not the risk side. Plus, with the WGA strike, the

> people that

> were putting $5M in films don't have a way to put that money to work

> right

> now ...

I've been *really* interested in how that's been panning out. Very
much so.

Dan