[arg_discuss] ARGs/Interactive Fiction

Jay Bushman jaybushman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 23:22:46 EST 2008

I've always thought of the puzzles as analogous to TV commercials -
albeit really neat, intriguing commercials. At the end of the day,
they're impediments to the story progression, and the crucial bit is
to make sure the audience/players care enough about the story to plow
through/solve/wait for someone else to figure out the solution so they
can get to that next little chewy bit of story goodness.

The Loose-Fish Project: <http:www.loose-fish.com>
The Good Captain: <http://twitter.com/goodcaptain>

On Jan 8, 2008, at 8:11 PM, Michael Monello wrote:

> Well, the puzzles have always been the least interesting aspect of

> ARGs for me, since so few of them are truly integrated within the

> narrative. I think it's much more interesting to have the audience

> guide characters down different paths rather than solve puzzles to

> unlock another piece of story, so I do think the kinds of challenges

> we put into our narratives needs to be rethought -- regardless of

> everything else we are discussing here.

> But given that the tiniest sliver of the audience actually solves

> ARG puzzles and the vast majority of people get the answers from

> that group, if your ARG is boring because the audience is getting

> those answers then you have problems that go way deeper than how the

> audience is organized!

> Best,

> Mike

> On Jan 8, 2008, at 10:03 PM, Ian Millington wrote:

>> ARG-puzzle solutions tend to be liberally shared. Because once a

>> puzzle falls the whole world (clan in your case) rushes through to

>> the

>> next state, what would stop the first team communicating the solution

>> to someone in the next team, and that second team then finding the

>> game boring? Most of team two wouldn't want to cheat - but the

>> communal nature of ARGs means that only one would have to.

>> Having individual play trajectories seems to imply having individual

>> challenges. Which in turn suggests that the knowledge-based puzzles

>> that are the staple of ARGs would have to be minimized in favour of

>> skill-based challenges.

>> Using TV metaphors another option would be the soap-opera - designed

>> to be very easy to drop into at any stage, with the corresponding

>> inability to build coherent dramatic story arcs.

>> I dunno... even the clan idea feels a little too conservative to

>> me...

>> Ian.

>> On 08/01/2008, Michael Monello <mmonello at campfirenyc.com> wrote:

>>> I haven't thought this all the way through, I'm just spitballing

>>> with

>>> the group here, but I don't think it has to add that much staff if

>>> the

>>> game is structured from the ground up with this in mind. Everyone

>>> would be playing the game in real time, it's just that the community

>>> would be split into smaller groups, or clans, to allow for a wider

>>> variety of community cultures. Think of it in terms of Everquest --

>>> it's a big world and you can see what other clans are doing, but you

>>> are playing in your own group or clan with your own clan culture.

>>> You are aware of the other groups, especially when it comes to

>>> character interaction and live events, but you are really working

>>> closely in smaller clans which are not in competition with each

>>> other.

>>> Best,

>>> Michael Monello

>>> Partner, Campfire