[arg_discuss] Res: Personal Influences/Antecedents

André Sirangelo asirangelo at yahoo.com.br
Wed Feb 6 00:22:43 EST 2008

I was surprised by the examples of transmedia experimentation being done by soaps lately, that's really cool

Sadly I think that because of the fact that television drama in Brazil hasn't moved forward past the soap opera format, it's hard for me to regard it as a positive influence. While british and american soaps are usually seen as guilty pleasures and must be fun to watch (I like to read about the out-of-this-world plot twists and character ressurections sometimes, for a laugh), around here that's pretty much all we get. Bad acting, poor lighting, no room for experimentation, the same stories over and over. The format is exhausted but they just keep doing it, and there's no quality drama like House or State of Play or The Sopranos after that. Call me cranky, but it's kind of depressing.

Some people I know used to make comparisons between writing an ARG and writing a telenovela and I would nearly knock them unconscious. But the recent discussion made me realise that there really is a connection after all.

I just wished people could watch soaps here knowing that there are many other ways stories can be told besides melodrama. Oh well, maybe that's what I should try to show while writing ARGs

Andre