[arg_discuss] Weekly Informal IRC Chats

Andrea Phillips andrhia at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 14:40:36 EDT 2008

After the official SIG chat last night, which mainly dealt with Moo
cards, a few people expressed disappointment that there wasn't time to
just talk about stuff that's on our minds. While there is
off-the-record time to just chat after the agenda items are done, this
is a real, valid problem. So!

I propose a rotating weekly chat on IRC (...or actually, Wendy has
said she has a better platform, if she'll speak up?) This time would
be good for the "Well, how do you price out your proposals?" and "How
much are you charging for X?" and "Say, what's the best freemail
provider for Y?" and "Which blogging platform has been the most
secure?" and "My GOD did you see what io9 said this time?!" kinds of
discussions that a lot of people want to have, but not so many people
want to have recorded.

We could time-shift this chat to start three hours later every time,
to try to make it convenient for people around the globe. (Actually,
there's no reason we can't keep a chat open all the time, and just
remind people it's there every now and again. :) Not sure if weekdays
or weekends work better for more people, though.

I arbitrarily say that the first of these informal chats will begin
Thursday Aug. 21, at noon Eastern US time. That's 9am/09:00 on the
West Coast, 5pm/17:00 in Britain, and 2am/02:00 in Sydney. (Sorry,
Christy...)

If you miss it, there's another one next week... but these transcripts
will NOT be posted to the list, to allow people a little more latitude
in what they say.

Pending a better idea than IRC for the chat, I'll post join
instructions again on Wednesday sometime.

--
Andrea Phillips
http://www.deusexmachinatio.com