[arg_discuss] "Fake Blogs Now A Criminal Offence"

despain at quantumcontent.com despain at quantumcontent.com
Thu Apr 17 01:13:57 EDT 2008

I haven't been following this thread carefully, but wanted to note
that there are existing laws on the books in the US that need to be
considered when doing any "marketing" related ARG.

A quick google found this page with a rundown of some applicable laws
(but not all the sections of these laws that might apply to ARGs)
http://www.lawpublish.com/viral-marketing.html

There are laws about paying people to be "spokesmen" for a product...
Laws about providing compensation for forwarding emails to friends...

I'm not going to go into it in-depth, but if you're being paid to
do an ARG, a consult with a lawyer should be included in your plans.

Granted, you shouldn't let the lawyers design your ARG, but you should
be aware of how risky you're being.

Wendy Despain
quantumcontent.com