[arg_discuss] ARG Information & Resources

A Nakama a.r.nakama at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 17:46:10 EDT 2008

I love the lead, but I'd also emphasize the communities that form around
these games, and how loyal they can be to the game (and thus implicitly to
the brand or product).

Also, I'd change "viralesque" to "viral." Although I agree with the nuance
you're trying to put in there, I think the average executive would respend
better to the straight up "viral," and probably wouldn't be able to tease
out the nuance in the first place.

How about this?

"Alternate reality games are a fictional interaction between a large
audience and a story which may be tied to a brand or product. They play out
through any type of social media available, allowing a large viral reach for
the content of the game, as well as create a strong community loyal to the
game -- which can then be passed on to the brand or product. These
elements, combined with the incredibly high amount of face time the game
gets with an audience, can connect that ever-expanding audience to a brand
or product with a strength that traditional marketing strategies have
difficulty matching."

I definitely agree that video games have been successful with the young male
demographic because of that Hero's Journey aspect common to so many popular
games (I believe there was a discussion just recently about this on the
Writer's SIG), but I haven't been a part of ARGs catering to that playstyle
or demographic in particular.

Though I do think there's an interesting nuance to try to get at there. You
brought up Star Wars, which had (and has) a huge fan community surrounding
it. How much of that is due to the Hero's Journey that the story was
deliberately molded upon, and fans wanting to vicariously experience that
journey? I'd be willing to wager that's a strong part of it, and that --
because ARGs can be so immersive -- there's probably an audience who would
eat up that sort of ARG.

~ Adam Nakama