[arg_discuss] Competitions with prizes and ARGs

Dan Hon dan at sixtostart.com
Wed Apr 2 07:03:07 EDT 2008

In my experience, most of the time we've offered a prize is because
it's been so cheap. A copy of the Penguin archive is expensive if
you're buying it, but not so expensive if you're working with Penguin.
Hard to get, but a minimal outlay, really.

We had a small (less than a thousand) number of referrals from
competition websites for WTS (the kind of sites that list all the
competitions you can enter for free for people who like free stuff).
Compared to our total audience of uniques, this is a molecule of water
in the atlantic ocean.

Also: not that many people have entered our competition. (So if you're
in the UK and you want a shot at winning all those books, you should
enter :))

A vast amount of the response we've seen online - say 99% or so - has
been about the stories and the interaction method. Hardly anyone at
all (<5 blog entries, perhaps?) have mentioned the prize. It's a cool
prize, but I like to think that what we've done is cooler, and that's
what people are talking about and playing.

--
Dan Hon, CEO, Six to Start
m: +44 7870 600 828