[arg_discuss] TINAG and the curtain: necessary?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Mon Sep 17 11:04:39 EDT 2007

> I still think TINAG is necessary, but I've revised my idea of what

> "TINAG" means. it doesn't mean that the dev team is hiding behind a

> curtain and pretending there's no game. This would have been dead

> impossible for us in Perplex City, because of the angle where we had

> to be a real company selling cards and offering a prize. We really

> played with the in-game/out-of-game border, and the conclusion I

> reached is that the *experience* has to believe it's for real.

Yes, exactly.

As long as the experience believes it's real, never breaks its own rules
and bubble, and makes sense as a story/world, suspension of disbelief
and "not a game" (to the characters, it isn't!) is maintained. TINAG
applies to the world/story, not to the game/implementation.

--
Morbus Iff ( whooooooo's hoooouuuuuse? )
Enjoy my: http://www.disobey.com/ and http://www.60bwc.com/