[arg_discuss] English Gargoyle ARG?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed Oct 3 16:40:50 EDT 2007

>> The use of the term "game" in ARG also implies there needs to be some kind

>> of puzzle to solve. Doesn't it? Or is the word "game" meant imply

>> interaction between the players and designers?

> I don't want to define game (I am not a ludologist, but I've read a

> number of related books) but no, definitely not, I do not consider the G

> in ARG to require a puzzle to solve. I will accept "interaction between

> players and designers", though even that's iffy - games like 1000 Blank

> White Cards, or Lexicon: An RPG have no "designers", but they're most

My daughter just woke up, so I have to jump out of the thread for a few
hours ("woohoo!", I can imagine some people whispering), but I suspect
we'll have to define or clarify "puzzle to solve". Is a question ("why
is he leaving all these gargoyles around?") a puzzle, by your intent, or
must it be something more puzzley (a cryptogram, cypher, word/number
puzzle, etc., etc.)?

I accept that ARGs need conflict in their narrative (gives the player's
"something to do", even if it's just to get the day's mail), and that
ARGs need mysteries to solve, but not that they need cryptograms,
cyphers, word/number puzzles, etc.

--
Morbus Iff ( that's crazier than a sack of ferrets at a hoe-down. )
Enjoy my: http://www.disobey.com/ and http://www.60bwc.com/