[arg_discuss] Loose fish project

Jay Bushman jaybushman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 19:12:58 EST 2007

Thanks all for the great feedback. I've been wanting to chime back in
this week, but my job has been trying to kill me.

One of my inspirations for this whole thing was playing certain ARGs
and realizing that I wasn't even all that interested in the puzzles.
They served more as impediments to finding out What Happened Next. In
that sense, they functioned almost like commercial breaks, but more
interesting that a sales pitch for a car I can't afford.

One of the challenges of doing an "ARG without the Game" is constantly
having to re-evaluate my assumptions. I think I was a month into it
before I realized that "This Is Not A Game" doesn't apply. And I
constantly have to remind myself that interactivity is not really a
goal.

On the terminology question, I've been toying with a bunch of names,
none of which I really like. I dig the word "transmedia" a lot, but
it doesn't quite apply yet, since the first few projects are each
isolated to one specific medium.

A phrase I love, even though I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of
sense, is "Gremlin's Hypertext." This is based on an idea I
encountered in an improvisation class I took in grad school. We had a
textbook of essays on improv, most of which I skipped. But for some
reason, I skimmed the final essay, and in the last pages of it
described, almost in passing, something that has continued to be an
enormous influence on every creative thing I do: a phenomenon called
"Gremlin's Theater."

What that refers to is this - when you go to see a play, there's an
implicit contract between the players and the audience: that the
action is fictional, that the audience will sit quietly or respond in
certain approved ways, and the evening will progress along according
to plan. Any emotional reaction or catharsis that occurs, happens
within these safe, established boundaries. But then, the Gremlins
show up and something goes wrong. An actor blows their entrance. A
set falls down. A crucial prop goes missing. And suddenly, while
everything goes off the rails, the energy level in the room reaches
heights well above anything that could have been experienced within
those safe boundaries. It feels almost vertiginous, since nobody -
not the audience, not the performers, not the backstage crew - knows
what will happen next. In an improv context, this is not about making
things always go wrong, but about trying to attain that level of
energy, mystery and danger, to keep an audience on their toes and
feeling like anything could happen at any time. Strangely, outside of
that one section in that once essay, I haven't been able to find any
mention of Gremlin's Theater anywhere else.

So I started using Gremlin's Hypertext, because I think one of the
goals of these forms is that when a player/reader/consumer clicks a
link (or sends an email, picks up a phone, etc.), we want them to feel
that same exhilaration of having no idea what will happen next, of
anything being possible. Isn't that the derivation of the idea
"rabbit hole?" I'd say that for me, the difference between ARGs that
work and ARGs that don't is how well the story pays off that feeling
of anticipation.

btw, Mike - I'm calling my next pubquiz team Dostoevsky Sausages

The Loose-Fish Project: <http:www.loose-fish.com>
The Good Captain: <http://twitter.com/goodcaptain>