[arg_discuss] Loose fish project

Mark Heggen markheggen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 19:15:44 EST 2007

Adrian said:

> Instead, it's become a catch-all term for non-traditional gaming. Look

> at the Chain Factor game for Numb3rs - notwithstanding the tie-in with

> the TV show, I don't think it's used any cross-media stuff (e.g. phone

> calls, real life events) and I don't think it will do in the future.

> And yet it certainly *feels* like an ARG

All around a lot of excellent thoughts on this thread. Just as
clarification, the Chain Factor game actually does have cross-media arms
outside the television episode. The casual game has locked powers which can
only be unlocked by entering codes that are found in text messages, banner
ads, subway ads, and it looks like possibly television ads (which are
ostensibly unrelated to Numb3rs). In a funny sort of way, it might be the
project that most accurately fits the term "Alternate Reality Game" as it
meets all definitions of a *game* (unlike almost all of what we call "ARGs")
and it exists in a sort of *alternative reality* which contains a murdering
game designer who has hacked into commercial media advertising.

_Mark Heggen