[arg_discuss] Nov. 12 ARG SIG IRC Chat: The Log!

Andrea Phillips andrhia at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 21:32:12 EST 2007

The log follows. I'd just like to say a number of people mentioned
they would have liked the reminder a bit further out; I have very much
taken this to heart and plan to do so next time. (Though I have to
say, at least I was better than the "IRC Chat NOW!" of last time!)

*****
*** Starting logfile SIGchat_1107.log
IRC log started Mon Nov 12 12:03:20 2007
*** Value of LOG set to ON
<Rhiannon> I am officially logging
<Rhiannon> I guess in a minute we can all go around and introduce ourselves :)
Pub: #arg_sig NathanM_SC WillE Gupfee AndresQ danhon @Rhiannon Patrol Morbus
*** #arg_sig : End of /NAMES list.
*** imb (imbri at chat-solu-329B6F21.hsd1.ga.comcast.net) has joined
channel #arg_sig
<Rhiannon> Hello :)
<Rhiannon> I think we're destined for a quiet group today
<NathanM_SC> Heh, maybe! Hi.
<Gupfee> are there usually more people in these? this is the first
time I could make the sig chat...
<danhon> should we introduce ourselves now?
<AndresQ> wait for Master Rhiannon
<danhon> (I'm actually going to have to head off in 18 minutes)
<Rhiannon> Well
<Rhiannon> Let's get on with it then
<Rhiannon> Usually there are rather more people, yes
<Rhiannon> But I foolishly made this on an American holiday
<Rhiannon> And I think midday isn't as successful as evening anyhow
<Rhiannon> So!
<Rhiannon> I'm Andrea Phillips, your SIG leadership representative
<Rhiannon> I hereby welcome you the the Nov. 2007 ARG SIG chat, and
I'd encourage all of you to go round and introduce yourselves just
really quickly
<danhon> Hi, I'm Dan, I'm CEO of Six to Start, I used to work at Mind
Candy and now we make other games
<AndresQ> I'm Andres Quijano from Jengibre, a games and ARG
development company located in Argentina
<Patrol> I'm Patrick Moeller, senior editor of ARGReporter and ARG
Designer in Germany, currently working with vm-people in Berlin.
<NathanM_SC> Hey I'm Nathan Mishler, of Studio Cypher.
<WillE> And I'm Will Emigh, also of Studio Cypher
<Gupfee> Marie Lamb, ARGN Associate Editor and freelance PM--worked on
World Without Oil
<Rhiannon> (Oh, right, I used to work at Mind Candy, and now I am a
ronin wandering from project to project.)
<Rhiannon> We're missing Patrol and Morbus?
<Morbus> huh? oh, hey.
<Rhiannon> And imbri
<Rhiannon> Well, they can catch up and introduce themselves as we come to it :)
<Morbus> I'm Morbus, working slowly but steadily on 60 Blank White Cards.
<Morbus> I'm also a judge for Let's Change The Game.
<Rhiannon> Our agenda today is pretty much two items
<Patrol> second try: I'm Patrick Moeller, senior editor of ARGReporter
and ARG Designer in Germany, currently working with vm-people in
Berlin.
<Rhiannon> Oh! Sorry, I missed your line
<Patrol> no problem :)
<Rhiannon> Everyone bear with me, I'm operating on day 3 of a migraine
<Gupfee> :( yuck
<Rhiannon> So the quality control in my brain has gone very far off
<Patrol> oh my dear. hope it will get better soon.
<Rhiannon> So, our agenda:
<Rhiannon> First, I apologize; and second, I entreat
<Rhiannon> Are you ready?
* AndresQ is ready
<Patrol> yes
*** Signoff: imb (Ping timeout)
<Gupfee> gfi
<Rhiannon> Item 1: I am so, so sorry for not making further headway on
the press kit and/or the trends paper, at least one of which I had
wanted to complete by now. In addition, there is a backlog of
introductions going back to something ludicrous like.. June... to put
into the website
<Rhiannon> Christy Dena has put together her press kit item, and a lot
of the rest of it wouldn't take up much TIME, so much as I simply
haven't done it. Oh, and I had begged for some people to write ARG
case studies, and that also hasn't happened yet
<Rhiannon> So it wasn't only me :)
<Rhiannon> OK, done with the apologizing
<Rhiannon> Now for the entreating
<Rhiannon> I really, really want more people into the leadership if the SIG
<Rhiannon> If you haven't noticed, it's essentially just.. me... right now
<AndresQ> how can I join/help?
*** amartin (chatzilla at 8675790E.91DA772D.434885FA.IP) has joined
channel #arg_sig
<Rhiannon> My heavens
<amartin> hi all
<Rhiannon> Speak of the devil and he shall appear!
* amartin looks around furtively
* AndresQ bows
<Rhiannon> I was just about to say that, while Adam is our chairman on
paper, in practice he is not so very much involved of late
<amartin> LOL
<Rhiannon> Adam, I was entreating people to join the leadership
<Rhiannon> Evan Jones has also stepped down from the council
<Rhiannon> And I clearly am not doing a fantastic job all on my very own
<danhon> Then it is true.
<danhon> Our fellowship has broken.
* Rhiannon weeps
<danhon> Sauron gathers to the west.
* amartin thinkgs Rhiannon is doing a fantastic job
<Morbus> one does not simply anagram into mordor!
<Rhiannon> So this chat is basically a gussied up recruitment drive to
try to fool one or more of you into doing my wicked bidding
<NathanM_SC> So what needs doing? We at SC would like to be involved
on some level. :)
<Rhiannon> Well
<Rhiannon> You could write items for a press kit :)
<Rhiannon> Or you could put introductions onto the website
<Rhiannon> Or you could think of another fantastic project and put it
into action!
<AndresQ> I can help!
<Gupfee> what needs to be done for the press kit?
<amartin> FYI I was planning to update the introductions + add
companies one evening this week, so that's covered
<Rhiannon> But basically, just say "I will help!" and we can dub you
official leadership council members
<danhon> (at this point, having done nothing but contribute a quip, I
have to leave for a meeting. I shall catch up from the logs)
<amartin> (my only query was whether it was best to move that data
over to the wiki? so that people could add themselves and change
them?)
*** Signoff: danhon (Quit: byebye)
<Rhiannon> For the press kit, we need a description of what an ARG is;
a description of the benefits of an ARG for prospective clients; a few
ARG case studies
<Rhiannon> And maybe a pretty design for a PDF to put it all into
<Rhiannon> Christy has delivered ARGs by the numbers for me
<Rhiannon> All of this should be one-pagers
<Rhiannon> Adam: That's actually an excellent idea, I think
<Rhiannon> In general we don't use the wiki to its fullest extent
<Patrol> ok, so is there a way to see, what has already happened with
the press kit and what tasks are already open?
<Rhiannon> I think I'll repeat my entreating later tonight in an email
to the list
<Rhiannon> You can look at what I typed out
<Rhiannon> Otherwise not so much :)
<Rhiannon> I've actually asked some people to do case studies of their own games
<Rhiannon> And met with assent, but then Embrace the Chaos was
postponed... and I'd hope to deliver the press kti in time for that
<Rhiannon> So all of the urgency was lost
<Rhiannon> er, I'd hoped
<Patrol> we should have some kind of deadline then, what do you think?
<NathanM_SC> I've found that a text description of an arg doesn't
always get the idea across. What'd be nice for a press kit would be a
hands on miniarg.
<Rhiannon> Nathan: This is a nice idea, but ultimately nonproductive
<Rhiannon> Because the target audience for the press kit is by
definition people who won't have time to go through a game
<Gupfee> keeping in mind that the holidays are approaching and
people's time is going to be limited even more than usual in the next
couple of months
<Rhiannon> We do already have a few sample mini-games posted
<NathanM_SC> Ah, well then, never mind!
<Rhiannon> The target is two separate audiences
<Rhiannon> One: Journalists writing about an ARG, to get some quick
background information
<Rhiannon> Two: People/companies/entities interested in commissioning
an ARG, for a similar purpose
<Rhiannon> If the kit could be helpful for small teams i ntheir pitch
process, that would be killer
<Rhiannon> Though I guess
<Rhiannon> There's no such thing, really, as a LARGE team :)
<Rhiannon> Anyway
<Rhiannon> Gupfee, I take away your point that having a more open
organization would be useful
<Rhiannon> And I think it would be wise to press the wiki into service for this
<Rhiannon> I think there will be some wiki-fidgeting in my future
<Rhiannon> Making a place for contributions
<Gupfee> my point?
<Rhiannon> Well
<Rhiannon> Maybe you didnt' say it, but it seemed where you were headed :)
<Rhiannon> Sorry
<amartin> Rhiannon is psychic AND prescient
<amartin> Does anyone want to do something in time for mid february,
we have another ARG group gathering?
<amartin> doh. I mean:
<amartin> Does anyone want to do something in time for mid february,
we have another ARG group gathering at GDC?
<Gupfee> I was just responding to Patrol's comment about a deadline!
<Rhiannon> And I read from that "Hm, having deadlines and what pieces
are done in an open spot would be v. useful!"
<Rhiannon> I accuse you of nothing :)
<Gupfee> heh
<Rhiannon> I *might* make it to GDC this year
<Rhiannon> If I do it would likely be for only a couple of days
<Rhiannon> Whether the first couple of the last couple I do not yet know
<Rhiannon> However, my attendance is no big deal, and I think the GDC
gatherings have always been a success and we should totally arrange
such a thing
<amartin> We don't *have* to do anything, we usually spend a short
while introducing everyone, and answering some general questiosn on
ARGs, and then an hour or two just meeting each other and socializing
in small groups
<Rhiannon> Fun :)
<amartin> (just to be clear: we have a group gathering arranged, and
I'll be there hosting it, but I just think its an opportunity for
someone to present anything - e.g. the presskit - in person. If they'd
like to)
<Rhiannon> Oh, right
<Rhiannon> I think February is a nice modest goal for the press kit
<Rhiannon> And GDC I thought was in March anyhow
*** Patro1 (Patrol at chat-solu-A68B69F.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) has joined
channel #arg_sig
<WillE> It's in February this year
<WillE> Er... next year.
<Patro1> sorry, i got disconnected. is the meeting in february, or is
it the gdc?
*** Signoff: Patrol (Ping timeout)
<Rhiannon> The meeting is at GDC, whenever GDC is :)
<Patro1> okay. i don't think that i can make it to the gdc next year :(
<Rhiannon> Aw.
<amartin> GDC is http://gdconf.com
<amartin> "GDC is extra Early this year - Feb 18-22"
<amartin> (2008)
*** subversified
(despain at chat-solu-81ED56F8.bzm-mt.client.bresnan.net) has joined
channel #arg_sig
<subversified> hi everyone, sorry I'm late.
<subversified> did I miss all the fun?
<AndresQ> hello there
<subversified> is the meeting over?
<Patro1> i'd like to add another topic.
<Rhiannon> OK, go
<Patro1> i put some questions together to make up a survey. Well it's
in German right now, and I'm still translating it into English, but
maybe there are questions that you ever wanted to know from your
players and you haven't asked yet?
<Rhiannon> That seems like a good thing to post to the list proper
<Rhiannon> Where you'll get more responses :)
<Patro1> okay :)
<Rhiannon> I'm curious about hours per day
<Rhiannon> But that's because of my current obsession with the
definitions of casual games and casual gamers
<Rhiannon> Anyway
<Rhiannon> I think the order of the day, then, is for me to go into
the wiki, make a framework for the press kit, set deadlines, and
exhort people to contribute?
<Rhiannon> Sounds fair?
<Patro1> yes :)
<Rhiannon> And perhaps the same thing with the trends paper
<Gupfee> exhort or extort ;)
<amartin> (does anyone want to contribute more to the main website also?)
<Rhiannon> If only I had dirt on all of you
<Rhiannon> Exhortation would be unnecessary!
<amartin> Come to GDC! It's great for learning things about people ;) :P
<Rhiannon> Hah
<Rhiannon> Well then
<Rhiannon> I'll just briefly open the floor to anything else anyone
wants to raise?
<Rhiannon> And: It seems like our evening/weekend meetings are much
more successful
<Rhiannon> Or at least well-attended
<subversified> I thought we had about the same attendance at those as
at this one
<subversified> Personally, I needed a little more warning that today
was the meeting
<subversified> it's morning at my house :-)
<Rhiannon> Sorry
<Patro1> well, i am still at work, and came to this room three hours
before the chat started, that way i couldn't forget about it ;)
<Rhiannon> I meant to email last night
<Rhiannon> But my brain, poor QA, as previously discussed
<subversified> A reminder on Friday would have helped me, but I don't
know about anybody else
<Rhiannon> OK.
<Rhiannon> I think we might be just about done here...
<subversified> I think we'll get this monthly meeting thing figured
out :-) we're still new at it
<Rhiannon> Yeah
*** imbri (imbri at giantmice.com) has joined channel #arg_sig
<Rhiannon> I think I'll try for week before Christmas next time?
<Rhiannon> Like on a Wednesday night or something
<Rhiannon> I don't know
<subversified> or first week in January?
<Rhiannon> We can talk it out on the list :)
<Rhiannon> That week tends ot be blockbuster insane for me
<Rhiannon> I don't know about you
<Rhiannon> All those resolutions, people suddenly want to get rolling
<subversified> things are insane for me until about March :-)
<Rhiannon> OK.
<Rhiannon> I do believe I am going to conclude the formal part of the meeting
<amartin> thanks, Andrea
<Rhiannon> Everyone is free to chat further about any and all topics
<Rhiannon> Thank you all for attending, and have a lovely week
IRC log ended Mon Nov 12 12:59:57 2007

--
Andrea Phillips
andrhia at gmail.com