[arg_discuss] Nine Inch Nails ARG

Steffen P. Walz walz at arch.ethz.ch
Mon May 21 12:55:56 EDT 2007

hi eva,

this is steffen from the ETH in zurich - i lead a secret life as a
musician. too;-). so here's some shameless self promotion:

my own record label playbe records tried a hippie trading game of
sorts in 2004...not so much ARG, but more a structural /
distributional game...we called this experiment "careware", where
people could order a CD by the artist steffen strom (=me) online for
free, after listening to the music on the site. the label shipped the
CD to germany, switzerland or austria, even paying the shipping
(nuts, huh?). in return, we asked people who had ordered to return a
counter value they thought the music on the CD was worth. or, if they
wanted, to pay a nominal price. the music itself is licenced under a
creative commons licence, too...

a friend at DaimlerChrysler trend research - burkhard järisch - & i
had come up with the careware idea; we wanted to figure out what
people were wanting to trade for music, and how many would get back,
wire money, and, of course, WHAT people would send in return. an
estd. 2/3 of all orders sent us something, out of which ca. 30% snail
mailed stuff such as

-a buttered bread (yuk)
-a flower voucher
-a self made CDs
-a long love letter
-weird and outdated currency (e.g. former yugoslavia)
-a "last" shirt (there is a saying in german: "i'd give my last shirt
to support this", so the gentleman sent me his one and only shirt;-))

check out the order / trade website, it's still online, but german
language only:

www.strom-musik.de

at http://spw.playbe.com, in the web section, go to "Audio Careware
Game" to see an image with some of the items we received.

hope this is not too off topic -
spw