[arg_discuss] Greetings and a Question

Adam Martin adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com
Mon May 21 07:43:46 EDT 2007

On 18/05/07, Christy Dena <cdena at cross-mediaentertainment.com> wrote:

> CONTEXT SPECIFIC PLOT

> I've created a few ARG-like events for entertainment industry residentials

> and each time we made sure the game was specific to the environment. So, we

> always did extensive reconnaissance of the area: checking the geography,

> local media, buildings, local gossip, history, local companies & websites,

> and found out about the local people and settings. We would then work out a

> story, an incident that was plausible to the environment, so it was part of

> the landscape, not on top of it. This, of course, adds to the 'realism' of

> the experience.

Which, of course, also has the advantage that you have a lot of free
content - anyone who tries to research the themes of your ARG will
find pre-existing references and literature (i.e. interesting reading
material). Even better, that content is often verifiably "old", such
as e.g. a reference to a legend in a book published centuries ago,
helping you stitch the narrative into the real world.

Adam