[arg_discuss] ARGs & relational aesthetics

Brooke Thompson brooke at mirlandano.com
Tue Mar 20 15:46:41 EDT 2007

This was discussed quite a bit at ARGfest and we've taken it on as an
initiative for IonARG with the goal being to release reports - both general
and more comprehensive.

Currently, I'm looking at several different offerings by other forms of
entertainment - from television, to web, to gaming. I'm quite intrigued by
the way IGN offers gamer metrics by looking at traffic on various sites -
something that may be possible once ARGdb is not only fully functional but
also well populated. But that is only a very small piece of the overall
picture and we need to figure out the best ways to get the facts and figures
that we need beyond that.

Another challenge is language - it needs to appeal to a rather fragmented
audience that is familiar to their own terminology. I'd very much like to
hear what sorts of things people are frequently asked for and the
terminology that is used.

Also, if you'd like to get involved beyond discussion here, please do let me
know. We're in particular need of someone(s) that could be considered
independent with experience in statistical analysis. I have a basic
knowledge in sociological methods and stats (a few graduate level courses
and some practical experience) as well as web analytics and Michael has a
marketing background, but more experience on this is better. This has the
potential to do great good for the growth of the genre, but if it's not
handled properly, the opposite could be true.

Brooke