[arg_discuss] Academic Research format for Whitepaper

Christy Dena cdena at cross-mediaentertainment.com
Tue Mar 13 20:22:40 EDT 2007

OK! The whitepaper doesn't count as an academic publication, so infact it
doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it represents the research
correctly. My aims in the Academia section are two-fold:

* Expose academic research into ARGs to other academics, industry and
designers;
* To provide insights and findings to assist developers;

So, I guess the style of the delivery doesn't matter. But the problem is not
all of the research is publicly available. Because the area is so young (in
research), there are not many publications, and many were in-formation at
the time. Also, many of the publications or conference presentations were
not available to the general public. So, I tried to make the section
self-contained in that sense, providing quotes and a bit more
information...so it is a publication in itself.

Also, another difference is that there really wasn't that much research
around at the time (that I could find) that dealt directly with ARGs. So,
there was more information to be gained from covering a few papers and
insights per person rather than one paper per person.

I think possibly a tiered approach is in order. :) A quick snapshot ARG
Studies Download ppt; a further description on the wiki or website or on the
respective researcher websites and also a link to the actual paper or
article if that is available...