[arg_discuss] ARGs for children?

D. Cook me at addlepated.net
Fri Jun 29 12:19:01 EDT 2007

I'm sure I'll get shouted down by the anti-Disnites ;) , but I've
spent quite a bit of time pondering lately about the nature of Disney
World. They treat all the characters as absolutely real, to the
degree that the person in the Mickey Mouse suit doesn't say later, "I
was in the Mickey Mouse suit," but rather, "I was _working with_
MIckey Mouse."

Everything that's not roped off at Disney World is available to touch
and play with. When the sign at the Muppet Show 3D says "Key's under
the mat," the key is really under the mat. If there's an old-timey
phone in a store, you should pick it up and hear an old-timey
conversation.

Those who take behind the scenes tours are warned not to say anything
about the characters not being real while "on stage," or in view of
other guests. If they do, their guide will play absolutely dumb.

So while there's not really a game (although they do have different
scavenger hunts), it's definitely an alternate reality. Obviously
the curtain is hair-thin, but within the milieu of Disney World
itself, the TINAG principle stands tall.

-Dee

--
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.