[arg_discuss] ahoy ahoy, ARG list members

Geoffrey Richards electricblanket at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 20:29:22 EDT 2007

Hi,

My name is Geoffrey Richards, and I am a student finishing up my certificate
with a specialization in 3D Environment Art at Austin Community College.
I've achieved my BA in Art from the University of Iowa as well, and am
working in QA at a local developer, with the hopes of climbing into a more
creative aspect of game design. I actually have a lot of game design ideas
and

As far as my particular interest in ARGs, I believe it has been piqued due
in part to a number of things: the film The Game from a few years ago was
pretty , a brief brush with the early Matrix-inspired ARG (I found out about
it fairly recently, long after the narrative/game was complete), and have
recently joined the IGDA, and read the minutes from the SxSW discussion on
the subject. Also, theres a band (you might have heard of) called Nine Inch
Nails, and I thought that the promotion for their newest album "Year Zero,"
which utilized ARG tactics to get fans involved in decoding art, websites
and found flash-disks to promote and help tell the narrative of the album.

I can imagine working on ARGs would be very interesting with so many
possibilities, and am for instance curious to see what potential there is in
combining "AAA" games or game elements with ARGs on more than just
"promotional" (unless this is happening, and I'm not aware of it?). Anyway,
I look forward to maybe hearing people discuss this cool relatively new
"platform."

Regards,
Geoffrey Richards
http://opticecho.com/3Dportfolio.html