[arg_discuss] ARG SIG in 2007

Michael Monello mike at haxan.com
Tue Jan 2 09:04:10 EST 2007

IRC, Skype, or smoke signals, count me in. I do agree with Brian that
discussions such as this are better served via voice chat.

Helpful PM tip -- I have a new rule on my current project (which has
three teams working in two different time zones): Any discussion
requiring more than three emails or posts back and forth must be
taken to the phones and the fourth email or post in the chain must be
a summary of what was agreed on the phone call.

We now operate more efficiently, and with fewer miscommunications as
a result.

Best,

Mike
__________
haxan | films | http://www.haxan.com

On Jan 2, 2007, at 8:33 AM, Hugh Davies wrote:

> I havnt used IRC before, just skype, but i will get it up and

> running and

> will join in. How hard can it be.

> hugh

> On 1/2/07, Brian Clark <bclark at gmdstudios.com> wrote:

>> Happy to be involved in whatever format (and I'll be up for GDC in

>> March,

>> which seems like a good meta time for some face-to-face).

>> Downside of IRC (can you tell I've PMed?) is that it tends to produce

>> noisy

>> conversations full of short ideas and lacks the emotional nuance

>> of voice

>> communications. Conversely, it's more difficult to filibuster and

>> less

>> likely to succumb to the tyranny of the long-winded.

>>> the

>>> IM systems these days have all the same features, Skype isn't really

>>> anything special, just a free cross-platform one that happens to be

>>> particularly good at punching through firewalls (e.g. the last

>>> place I

>>> worked blocked all outgoing and incomnig IRC traffic through

>>> packet-inspection, but skype went through fine - they had a

>>> corporate

>>> policy of not allowing any IRC in particular).

>>> Thanks, if everyone's happy with IRC that would be great.

>>> Adam