[arg_discuss] is ARG just a marketing technique to the press?

Patrick O'Luanaigh patrick at ndreams.com
Mon Dec 31 03:39:21 EST 2007

RE: Ian's comments about monetization

Does anyone know whether Perplex City broke even and ended up making profit?
For me, this was one of the bravest and most creative ARGs I've seen so far,
but I've assumed that because the team didn't go straight into a sequel, it
wasn't the successful monetization that Michael Smith had hoped for. For me,
selling puzzle cards at retail doesn't sound like a monetization solution
that could support more than a few ARGs. My view is that whilst the majority
of ARGs remain short, free advertiser-funded promotional vehicles (despite
the best efforts of the creative people behind them) it's going to be hard
to either:

a) get more mainstream awareness and recognition for this exciting area
or
b) find a monetization model that gets players paying to play in some form

The route that interests my company most is taken from the games industry,
as demonstrated by the superb "KartRider" game from Asia, which is worth
looking into if you haven't heard about it. It's a superb game that was
given away for free, but makes lots of money from micro-transactions;
selling small objects, better clothing, modifications for your kart and so
on. The key to this was getting lots of people to play the game over and
over again - once you have a large community playing repeatedly, then it
seems possible to start charging them small amounts to make their experience
even better. In this model, the biggest challenges seems to be creating an
ARG that doesn't end after a month or two (not an insurmountable obstacle),
and getting the funding to create the game in the first place. Anyone
agree/disagree? Has anyone tried the micro-transaction model?

Patrick, nDreams