[arg_discuss] is ARG just a marketing technique to the press?

Michael Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Tue Dec 18 13:10:46 EST 2007

Thanks, Brian, for lobbing a grenade over the wall and starting some
good discussion!

My quick take, as I run off to a meeting: I think over the long term,
"ARG" is either going to cease being a genre or it will be seen as a
very tiny subset of a larger form of entertainment.

What we are seeing is marketers experimenting in a space because
traditional entertainment companies (whether that be movie studios, TV
networks, or game developers) haven't figured out how to make money
from it. Until someone (one of us?) shows these companies how to
actually build an experience and generate revenue from it without it
being a marketing campaign, this will continue.

The truth is, ARGs as marketing don't deliver the ROI required of the
investment. As large as the ARG community is, it isn't large enough to
sustain a huge campaign for a marketer so marketers are now looking at
pieces of ARG engagement, and wanting to take from some of those
elements (interactivity, narrative) and leave other pieces behind
(complexity, barriers to entry).

This leaves a hole that could either be filled in by independent
artists who will experiment and push the form, or the marketers will
move from the space and the kinds of things they are doing will become
the new focus.

Right now, I am straddling both lines -- creating interactive and
involving "ARG-like" campaigns for brands as well as developing, with
entertainment companies, projects that start interactively (ARG-like)
and then push into new mediums. Not marketing campaigns for movies
like Cloverfield, but actual experiences that spin into other media,
like Blair Witch.

Best,

Michael Monello
Partner, Campfire