[arg_discuss] Trends in ARGs, 2007

Andrea Phillips deusexmachinatio at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:13:49 EDT 2007

I have a bit of an idea knocking around in my head - I'd like to put
together a paper outlining trends in ARGs right now. I'd be happy to
edit such a paper, and if nobody bites I just might have to write it
myself - in which case I'd love to get some feedback and editing help
from others.

Ideally I would prefer to be done with this paper by the end of the year.

Just to get the ball rolling, here's a bit of a brainstorm on things
I've noticed,
feel free to debate these broadly and volunteer to write about them:

* Shallower games for a wider audience (Heroes, Save My Husband)
* Physical artifacts are becoming more common, especially in grassroots games
* To go along with physical artifacts: There seems to be new interest
in slower-moving games
* More ARGs with serious messages (ex. peak oil)
* A new look at an ARG expanding into more traditional forms of media,
with Year Zero being explored to be turned into a movie (an
interesting development, even if it falls through.)
* A proliferation of independent, commerical ARG studios

Anything I'm missing? Am I just dead wrong in thinking some of these
are trends? Speak and I shall listen!

Thanks, everybody. :)

--Andrea