[arg_discuss] Re: Communities and resources

D. Cook me at addlepated.net
Fri Mar 31 21:38:00 EST 2006

Brian Clark wrote:
>Increasingly, I have a harder time predicting (I guess)
>what will be controversy inducing for the ARG community and find myself
>being more cautious in my contributions because of it :(

I completely agree with you on that.  I've had some of those
"Uhhhhhhhhh... nothing, nevermind" moments myself.

I think part of the problem is that people are too focused on what
games _should_ do and forego the great discussions about what games
_could_ do.  The whole concept of ARG, IMO, is harmed if you try to
define and label and quantify and pigeonhole.  ARGs should themselves
be free (although player resources like Unfiction definitely benefit
from restrictions, such as disallowing in-game posts).

Brooke has spoken about her disappointment on seeing people find a
trailhead and post a to-do list: "Ok, I whoised the sites, tried all
the email address combinations I could think of to see if there's an
autoresponder, set everything up on my automated program that checks
for site updates, so now what?"  Some of that stuff is smart to do,
sure, and tricks that older players are familiar with.  But we don't
create games so that people can check items off a list.  We do it to
have fun with them, or educate them, or both.  How can we engage the
cynical ARG player and make them as a child, wondering at the
information on the site rather than in the whois search?

As for the problems people are seeing with Unfiction itself, I think
that the site is reaching critical mass where it's turning from a fan
site to a resource site, if that makes sense.  It now exists less for
the fun of it and more as the elder statesman premier information
site for ARG discussion.  The switch from pleasure to business can be
painful, but when it happens, changes from both the members and the
mods/admins are necessary.  My mantra lately has been "Consistent,
unemotional enforcement of the rules."  It's also been adrift for a
bit and would benefit from a firm hand at the wheel.

This is not to say you can't have fun at Unfiction anymore, but
rather that with such a large member base (9000 people is bigger than
many TOWNS) some changes, as well as growing pains, are inevitable.
I've personally made some very good friends on Unfiction and I know
the potential there is for some great community.  I'll do what I can
to help foster that and hopefully help offset some of the negativity.
--
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.