[arg_discuss] [pm] Learning Things the Hard Way

Brooke Thompson brooke at mirlandano.com
Fri Mar 31 12:51:22 EST 2006

> Here's one from way back: If you're decent at euchre, and your players
> aren't,
> don't count on continually beating them in in-character online games,
> because
> they *will* learn the game and best you, which becomes easier and easier
> for
> them as you ramp up the difficulty of the puzzle clues you attempt to drop
> during the session. Heh.

And, really, they had the total advantage! They were only following two chat
rooms (theirs and the euchre chat), we were following three (theirs, ours,
and the euchre).

Adding to the list:

When making a game revolving around a universe built on hacking, even the
most careful lockdowns of the server may not be enough when you invite
players to ftp into it.

Though, it is much fun to watch people ping out of chat once they do gain
access - oops!

---

Independent graphic designers will never fully understand the complexities
and subtleties of a puzzle, no matter how carefully you explain it to them.
It's much easier to just do it on your own, if you can.

---

Players do not like deadheads, especially realistic deadheads that get
paranoid when confronted.

---

When providing assets to the team development area, make sure that the final
copy is clearly marked and that the file name has already been changed to
the proper live status.

---

When bored, players will go through every possible stock photo site and make
a catalogue of every image used in game.

---

When choosing a 'model' for a character from a stock photo site, it's a good
idea to look at popular website template sites to find him or her on every
other template before you actually purchase the photo. Otherwise, you're
cute little programmer is also a banker, a web host, a strategic analyst, a