[arg_discuss] [pm] Learning Things the Hard Way

krystyn at glitterbook.com krystyn at glitterbook.com
Fri Mar 31 12:15:42 EST 2006

>> * Never assume a newspaper would be willing to run an enigmatic
>> classified ad. Even one that has written favorably about ARGs in the
>> past.
>
> And you certainly can't assume that just because you put a classified ad in
> the paper that a player will find it when you want them to... even if you
> physically hand a copy of the paper to the player... and even if you circle
> the ad in red sharpie marker.  ;)
>
> Michelle

FWIW, I was traumatized by having to do a dead drop with a CLOWN in a deserted
park out in the Chicago suburbs. ;)

I certainly appreciate the symmetry now: I handed him a newspaper with a data
card stuck inside of it, and he handed me a newspaper with a circled
classified ad. At the time, though, I had a lot to do: a special passphrase to
remember, a phone call to answer, and various other directions to follow.
Besides, it only took me til the next afternoon to find it!

Here's one from way back: If you're decent at euchre, and your players aren't,
don't count on continually beating them in in-character online games, because
they *will* learn the game and best you, which becomes easier and easier for
them as you ramp up the difficulty of the puzzle clues you attempt to drop
during the session. Heh.

K.