[arg_discuss] Re: Communities and resources

Adrian Hon adrian at mssv.net
Fri Mar 31 08:43:58 EST 2006

Hi all,

I don't think anyone has yet attempted to answer Colin's questions,
but I'll give it a go.

> Are places like Unfiction.com considered critical to the success of
> your
> games?

Unfiction and ARGN are both very influential websites. It is
sometimes hard to believe this as a player since the absolute number
of registered members on Unfiction is not *that* big, but in terms of
Google hits and opinion-forming on the web, pretty much all ARG
developers have to take into account both sites. That doesn't mean
wanting to change them - I think both sites quite rightly prize their
independence - but new ARGs, especially ones developed by smaller
groups or companies, still have to be aware of them.

But the sheer number of opinion-formers who read ARGN for their
news... it's pretty incredible, and it's worth pointing out that a
good writeup on ARGN can drastically improve a small game's fortunes.

> Do you plan to target these audiences?

When Perplex City started out, it was totally unknown and was not
tied to another brand. We had to build from the grassroots, and the
grassroots were Unfiction and ARGN. So to begin with, we had to
target the UF and ARGN audience, although we always aimed to grow
beyond them while still keeping their interest.

(incidentally, I don't see this as 'us' and 'them'. If it seems like
I'm speaking in that way, it's unintentional, since if I wasn't a
developer, I'd be a player on UF).

> Do you think they help or hinder the genre?

They help them. Things would be much harder if ARGN and Unfiction
didn't exist, both for players and developers. That's not to say that
if I was some omnipotent being I wouldn't change them, but I
recognise that that's not in my hands.

> Are player created guides helping your ARG, or are they just confusing
> new-comers? Do you depend on them, or make your own in-game guide?

None of our players is currently maintaining a guide for Perplex
City. I don't particularly blame them because it's a very tough job.
It doesn't help that Perplex City has been live for 12 months and
counting - if I were a player maintaining a guide from the beginning,
I would've given up by now.

That said, Guides are very helpful. When I wrote the Guide for The
Beast, I found it very helpful for myself (in fact, that's the reason
why I started it) and I regularly received emails from other players
who used it. The number of hits on the Guide was also very high.

Guides aren't perfect though. The entire Guide to the Beast exceeded
60,000 words by the end, which is clearly far too much for a newcomer
to take in just to get up to speed; while it had the advantage of
detail, it didn't summarise the plot. I considered doing a summary
and then discarded the idea when I realised that I'd have to rewrite
the summary regularly. I also attempted writing a Guide for Perplex
City but it ran into the same problems.

Guides are particularly relevant to this discussion because they
essentially obviate the need for people to follow the forums (usually
UF) in order to follow the game. Following the forums is very time-
consuming because there is inevitable and necessarily a lot of noise
amidst the signal. However, if you have a good and regularly updated
Guide (or an equivalent), then it's much less time-consuming for
someone to follow the game, and that's a good thing for everyone.

Of course a bad Guide would be confusing for newcomers, but I can't
say I've seen a bad Guide yet.

As for forums, I imagine that our players will eventually migrate to
other player-created sites that cater to Perplex City specifically
(for example, they already use perplexcitytrades.com) as we get bigger.

I should also add that player-created wikis are really great
resources, and because they are written collaboratively and are
reference materials rather than walkthroughs, they lend themselves to
being well maintained by the players.

Adrian

--
Adrian Hon - mssv.net
Executive Producer and Director of Play, Mind Candy