[arg_discuss] Re: Communities and resources

krystyn at glitterbook.com krystyn at glitterbook.com
Fri Mar 31 07:53:17 EST 2006

> For example, someone has already said my point of view is "anti-game"
> and I have to wonder if that would affect how those players might
> interact with any games they knew I was involved in.
>
> Have I shot myself in the foot here?

Nah.

I tend to be fairly aggressive in trying to suss out the parameters of
assertions people make in a discussion, so at least from me (the one who used
the phrase "anti-game), you're going to see a challenging of basic ideas and
theories, not ad hominem. To say that I felt like I was being "attacked" is an
overstatement. Let's just say I sat up a bit straighter in my chair, and
wanted a bit more detail/reasoning behind some things that were said.

Besides, my paragraph also included a proffered reason of your desire for
control through the game space itself, which I can certainly support and agree
with for most of the usual gaming situations. I attempted to be even-handed by
doing so, even if I did use a blunt phrase like "anti-game" in the same
breath.  My spidey sense twitches somethin' fierce when I read pretty broad
generalizations about a community that has thrived because of individual
accomplishments *which then contribute to the whole.*

Krystyn