[arg_discuss] [event] ARG Group Gathering - report

adam at mindcandydesign.com adam at mindcandydesign.com
Thu Mar 23 22:37:12 EST 2006

Lots of thanks to everyone who came along to the ARG Group-Gathering at
the GDC today - we had a total of 20 people turn up, which is extremely
good by SIG standards, and we very effectively took over the seating area
next to the IGDA booth ;).

For those who didn't come along, we spent an hour ranging across different
topics in ARGs, everything from business models (are we soon going to see
a successful subscription-based ARG?) to the nature of the collaborative
communities that play ARGs, and testimonials of how playing ARGs changes
people for the better.

In particular, the idea of doing a whitepaper came up, and it seems
there's enough material and enough immediate value to people that this is
something we should start looking at seriously. The biggest challenge
looks like it's going to be time, an especially scarce resource for PMs,
but if many people chip-in with small amounts, we should be able to get
something excellent together. I'm hoping later tonight to tap Brian
Robbins (online-games SIG) for some advice on this, as he's done a lot of
IGDA whitepapers before.

In the meantime, if you have any ideas or requests for stuff to include in
a whitepaper, or feel like helping, please throw them out here on the
list, or drop me a line.

Adam