[arg_discuss] Advertising in games

Dan Carver dan at vinegaroonmoon.com
Thu Jun 8 01:44:54 EDT 2006

As far as the Beast went, if we had had the time and weren't trying to sneak
in under two separate marketing departments, we would have been happy to use
product placement (we also thought about selling t-shirts but the players
beat us to it).  It was certainly discussed during development and had the
project been extended further we probably would have explored it and other
marketing and revenue generating ploys.  In point of fact the original plan
was to bridge the time required to produce games (based on the movie) with
the Beast.  Had the games reached fruition there would almost certainly have
been many marketing tie-ins.

Our team's commitment was to make a great game, but I don't think there were
any illusions that eventually the piper would have to be paid and we'd be
dancing to marketing's tune (we'd still have been committed to making a
great game, though). The game was, after all, a marketing effort (just not
one run by the respective marketing departments). As it was the movie was
not all that successful so the Beast was cut short and we never had to worry
about getting our dance card filled.

Ours was a special case, though, and most commercial games have to
incorporate marketing from day one so I don't think it's fair to expect them
to forgo advertising.  Having said that, it behooves the marketing and
design teams to properly judge their audience's tolerance. Like Andrea, I
suspect that it will err on the overkill side to begin with and thrash
around a lot before finding the proper level.

--Dan Carver