[arg_discuss] Defining ARG's

Christy Dena cdena at cross-mediaentertainment.com
Sun Jul 30 01:58:34 EDT 2006

Here is an outline of the differences between 'pervasive games' and ARGs
that Jane McGonigal put out in 2003:

<quote>
IMMERSIVE VS. PERVASIVE
Given the immersive genre's reliance on digital networks, we should ask:
Could the dramatic modes of immersion and collective play associated with
the Beast and its successors be achieved by other kinds of networked games?
I would like to consider briefly the genre of mobile, pervasive gaming in
order to argue that the effects I have described are so far unique to
immersive games.

Immersive entertainment, a primarily American phenomenon, is often elided
with the pervasive gaming models that are currently popular in Europe and
Asia. Pervasive entertainment, which combines Web fictions and multiplayer
communities with mobile texting and global positioning technology, includes
the annual worldwide Nokia Game and Supafly and BotFighters, produced by
Swedish game company It's Alive. Despite the functional similarities between
the two genres, however, the structure and rhetoric of European and Asian
models of pervasive entertainment are fundamentally at odds with the
immersive and collective goals of games like the Beast.

Consider, for example, the mobile and massively-multiplayer Nokia Game,
which in November 2002 was played by more than a million people in 25
countries. Although the adventure-themed Nokia Game claims in press releases
to "investigate the borders between fiction and reality," it also promotes
itself with the slogan: "In reality it's a game" [35]. On one level, this
statement emphasizes the location-based aspects of pervasive entertainment.
The Nokia Game, like the Beast, is played "in reality," that is, in
everyday, real environments with players' ordinary, everyday tools. On
another level, however, this slogan also firmly positions the Nokia Game
experience as a game; consider the paraphrase, "Really, it's a game." As
opposed to the Beast, there is no real effort to disguise the game's
gameness. This is especially evident in the design of the digital documents
associated with the Nokia Game, most of which prominently feature the Nokia
logo, a link to "The Nokia Game" home page (with explicit objectives, rules
and prizes clearly stated) and legal disclaimers. All of this peripheral
information serves as a constant reminder that a game is being played.

Another barrier to player immersion in the Nokia Game is its reliance on
mini-flash games to advance plot and player status. These games, played on
cell phones or the Web, have a symbolic diegetic meaning - for instance, a
player manipulates an avatar through a flash environment to earn game world
points that translate into game currency, or a player investigates a mystery
by clicking on different parts of a 360-degree, traversable photographic
image to "grab" objects and reveal pop-up information. This kind of symbolic
interface clearly demarcates game from reality. The difference in player
experience in the pervasive gaming vs. immersive entertainment can be summed
up as the difference between interacting with a signifier (the Nokia Game)
and its signified (the Beast).

But what about the multi-player component of pervasive games? Does it
produce immersive-like collectives? While many cooperative Web communities
assemble annually around the Nokia Game to share hints, tips and archive
game files, ultimately the collective activity is limited both by the design
and rewards of the game. Unlike the Beast, there is no reason an individual
couldn't play the entire Nokia Game from start to finish, interacting but
not collaborating with other players. Its scope in terms of the skills, time
commitment and personal resources required are limited enough to make
feasible a team of one. Meanwhile, with high-value prizes like expensive
integrated digital equipment at stake, incentive for cooperation is
inherently limited.
</quote>

McGonigal, J. (2003) ''This Is Not a Game': Immersive Aesthetics and
Collective Play' presented at MelbourneDAC:  the 5th International Digital
Arts and Culture Conference, RMIT, Melbourne, Australia, May 19 - 23,
published at School of Applied Communication, RMIT [Online] Available at:
http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/dac/papers/McGonigal.pdf . PowerPoint available
at: www.avantgame.com.

Cheers,
Christy