[arg_discuss] Re: Develop 2006 + Group Gathering

Christy Dena cdena at cross-mediaentertainment.com
Mon Jul 17 20:19:29 EDT 2006

I agree, Ian, that there needs to be an attempt to clarify the terminology;
and I like the idea of having a discussion here on the list. I'll jump right
in to try and get the conversation going.

XME
I see Cross-Media Entertainment (XME) as a term that encompasses all forms
of entertainment that use multiple platforms, which includes but is not
limited to ARGs.

PERVASIVE GAMING
I think this term is also a top-level one that can encompass ARGs and
non-ARGs. Perhaps there are some people on this list, like Eva Nieuwdorp,
who is doing a PhD on the area, could pop in some definitions that are out
there?

ARG
As for ARG, I was thinking that maybe an approach like this definition given
in a paper recently about "hybrid reality games" was a good model:

"HRGs have three main design elements. First, they are mobile and
location-based activities. Second, they are multiuser games and, therefore,
social activities. Finally, they expand the game environment outside the
traditional game space (the board or the screen) into the physical space,
thereby creating new spatial perceptions, by merging physical and digital
spaces, and new possibilities for social networks in both spaces."

(From: De Souza E Silva, Adriana; Delacruz, Girlie C. (2006) Hybrid Reality
Games Reframed: Potential Uses in Educational Contexts, Games & Culture)

So, you could put (this is to get the ball rolling on some ideas):

"ARGs have five (?) main design elements. First, they use a range of media
platforms and real life spaces. Second, they are played collaboratively,
mainly through online networking. Third, the game responds to the player
activities through human intervention by the "puppet-masters". Fourth, they
create an "alternate reality" where nothing is identified as being fiction.
Fifth, they are played in real time."

Cheers,
Christy