[arg_discuss] first post people page

eva nieuwdorp eva.nieuwdorp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 10:05:54 EDT 2006

Hi,

this is my first post, introducing myself a bit:

"I am a PhD researcher at the Humanities faculty at the University of
Utrecht, the Netherlands. I work within the project 'Playful Identities:
>From Narrative to Ludic Self-Construction', where I focus on identity
and player experience in 'pervasive games'. I have spent time as a guest
researcher at the Trans-Reality Gaming Laboratory in Visby, Sweden, where I
worked for both the Interactive Institute and the Integrated Project on
Pervasive Gaming (IPerG). Besides research, I also work as a junior teacher
at the University of Utrecht, where I teach courses in game culture and
philosophy of ICT.

As a researcher of 'pervasive games', I will start by letting you in on a
badly-kept secret: I don't like the term 'pervasive games'. This aversion (a
compelling force to be reckoned with as I have learned) makes me do things
like investigate new ways of talking about the the concept behind the term,
which I believe has a lot to do with embodiment and convergence. In this
respect, I prefer to speak of 'pervasiveness' in games.

ARGs often receive the label of 'pervasive game' (as do a lot of other game
forms). They intrigue me. ARGs challenge ideas of the 'real' and the
'virtual', of 'analogue' and 'digital', of 'play' and 'not-play', of 'play'
and 'game'... I could go on. Also, the player experience an ARG is able to
provide, as well as the potential for commercial purposes make this a very
interesting type of game. I would love to know more, and look forward to
sharing in the knowledge on this list!"

Eva Nieuwdorp