[arg_discuss] [social] NYC Gathering + Introductions

Tim Shey tim at sheymedia.com
Thu Jan 5 18:23:12 EST 2006

I'd be game for meeting up, and am in shouting distance. Since I've
yet to do my two paragraphs, here goes:

While I'm very new to the world of ARGs, I've been involved in cross-
media entertainment for a while.  I started a company called Proteus,
which is relatively well-known in the mobile and interactive TV
industries -- we were the first company to produce interactive
television shows using mobile phones, with networks like FOX and ABC,
and Proteus currently runs mobile entertainment offerings for
partners like HBO, ABC, Magic: the Gathering and CollegeHumor.com.

I've also developed a number of interactive experiences along the way
for a lot of different media -- everything from console gaming to
consumer electronics devices.  Recently I worked with Discovery
Channel to design and prototype a cross-media, massively multiplayer
game for Windows Media Center PCs, based on their Dinosaur Planet CGI
documentaries, called Dinosaur Highway, where players took on the
role of dinosaurs in an evolutionary survival game, with vital
strategies, competitive information, and new missions communicated
via the web and an ongoing broadcast series.  The project, which
debuted at AFI's Digital Content Lab, is still in development, but
among other things got me interested in alternative reality gaming,
and I'm currently working as a producer on a couple of new TV series
where we're exploring the possibility of developing ARG elements to
deepen the audience's involvement, and we hope collaboration, in the
storytelling process.

So as that process continues, I'm here to learn, find good people to
work with, and share whatever I can along the way.

Timothy Shey

http://sheymedia.com
mobile + 1 202 746 2271