[arg_discuss] [pm] The Puppetmaster Lifestyle

Andrea Phillips andrea at mindcandydesign.com
Wed Jan 4 20:12:38 EST 2006

We've all heard (and many of us have experienced) the legendary all-
consuming nature of puppetmastery. I'm wondering how the various of
you have managed a work/life balance (or have you?)

How many of us have kids or time-eating hobbies? How many of us skip
family events or holidays when there's a game on? Do you think we're
better or worse or on par with traditional game dev?

One of the things I'm proud of at MC is the fact that we've got a
pretty reasonable balance going. And considering our long run time, I
daresay it's not a surprise. :) But I mean, we go on vacations and
take holidays; I have time to play with my daughter and sing in a
chorus and attend to personal hygiene and, you know, eat dinner with
my family at night. Not saying I don't  have my share of days where
I'm burning the midnight oil, but it is more the exception than the
rule. (And honestly, if you're running the 10+ hour days for weeks on
end, you're not getting any more done than you would have in a
standard 8-hour day...)

I'd even go so far as to suggest that the breakneck pace is far, far
more self-induced than it is player-demanded. (This leads into a
whole discussion on pacing and managing expectations I'd enjoy
having, but maybe save it for another day :)

Sooo... comments? Oh, and Happy 2006, everyone. :)

--
Andrea Phillips
http://www.perplexcity.com