[arg_discuss] What *is* an ARG?

Tony Walsh tony at secretlair.com
Sun Feb 19 10:10:50 EST 2006

Interesting post, Adam.
I've been a member of Second Life since April, 2004, and I agree that it
is not an ARG.  It isn't a game at all, in my opinion, as there is no
"play" structure to speak of and no universally-recognized goals --
although many Second Life members ("residents") insist it is a game.
Second Life is a place where residents make their own experience, but
not all residents agree on what experience that should be.  When your
reality conflicts with mine, immersion is broken.

Second Life was actually used as part of an ARG last year, but I recall
it fizzled out somewhat.
http://www.secretlair.com/index.php?/clickableculture/entry/a_second_life_arg_under_my_nose/
The ARG won second place in Second Life's 2005 game dev competition.
http://www.secretlair.com/index.php?/clickableculture/entry/second_life_game_dev_competition_winners_announced/

As to your question "are games designers losing site of the game, in
their endless pursuit of 'immersion' and 'fidelity'?"
-- I can only speak from a limited, personal perspective on this.  I'd
rather see more game play and fiction in ARGs at the expense of
realism.  Good fiction can beat poorly-simulated realism any day of the
week in terms of immersion.

-=-
Tony Walsh
416.367.3132