[arg_discuss] Blair Witch

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Thu Dec 28 06:43:26 EST 2006

Timewarping from the holidays into some of these discussions assuming that
Mike answers his creator questions, but I have some vested interest in some
of this conceptually as well:

Hugh Davies wrote:

>For what is worth, I took "staged discussion" to mean stuff like forums,

>documentaries and other media that are created to reinforce the

>mythology of the original text.

Unfortunately, it read to me like "faked discussions" especially after
labeling BW a "hoax" (making it sound like a synonym for what in the States
we might call "astroturfing" -- or creating the appearance of a grassroots
effort.)

BW was more organic than that and actually started on outside websites
before Mike and crew got a BW website up. That aside, even if they didn't
... even if they hosted those discussions ... does "staged" really work as a
description for the social media media portions (which is what I would think
the writer was referring to with the "discussions" part?)

Perhaps ... in general ... "faked" might be a good word to avoid as an ARG
development community. Fiction is fakery with artistic instead of
manipulative intent. Myth is a good word for narratives that are malleable.
Faked brings with it a pejorative context that I know Mike and I have both
had to work hard to build differentiation from.