[arg_discuss] Whitepaper: Let's back up a bit...

Ian Millington (NWI) ian at nearworlds.com
Fri Dec 15 18:36:42 EST 2006

In my opinion there has been a failure to clearly define the purposes of
both this group and the whitepaper.

That has resulted in the group not having substantial value for most of its
members (aside from the obvious personal stake of a few). And in turn there
has been a lack of willingness to invest heavily in it (aside from a few).
In my experience, groups don't get useful stuff done until there is an
obvious potential return for their members' investment.

So why don't we first answer this: Why are we here? If we can be clear about
what we want to achieve, decisions can be more clearly judged for their
contribution to our goals.

Here are various (non-exclusive) options:

1. It could be an advocacy group: to spread understanding and garner respect
among both the industry and the market.

2. It could be a forum for sharing best-practice among developers.

3. It could be a networking forum to help ARG developers access resources
and jobs.

4. It could be an educational resource for budding or blooming developers.

5. It could be a forum for the critical analysis and theoretical development
of the genre.

IGDA generally has suffered criticism for confusing some of these issues and
trying to be all things to all people. In particular it has been criticised
by its own board members for its lack of vigour in point 1. Whatever we
pick, we should be serious about delivering.

The second thing we need to confirm, I think, is this: Is an IGDA SIG the
appropriate forum to achieve the goals we have selected?

IGDA is a trade association for game developers, and this list is the
discussion list for its special interest group on ARGs. As depressing as it
may be, this is the only professional organisation for ARG developers we
have. The only organisation dedicated to promoting the needs and mitigating
the challenges of ARG developers.

What IGDA, and therefore this SIG, is not about is giving a forum for fans
of a game genre to interact with developers. I think such interaction is
absolutely vital, but an IGDA SIG isn't the place for it, and shouldn't be
the place for it.

It isn't about 'them' versus 'us', it is about forming groups that are
useful for their members. Horses for courses.

It may be that there is insufficient need for this SIG among developers. It
may be that anything we need from this list matches the needs or desires of
the academic and player community, or that the three overlap to such an
extent that it makes no sense to talk about developers' needs.

In which case we should all join Unfiction (or some such) and have the
discussions there and stop pissing people off in our little IGDA-branded
clique.

Begin clear and being focussed is the only way that serious developers are
going to start diverting serious time from developing and put significant
effort behind the group.

Ian.

--
Ian Millington