[arg_discuss] whitepaper:wiki, next version

Adam Martin adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 13 17:05:20 EST 2006

On 12/12/06, Brooke Thompson <brooke at mirlandano.com> wrote:

> Yes, this will be deemed as "unconstructive criticism" and you will likely

> just dismiss this entire post. That is fully within your right. But

> understand, the only reason that I am speaking up is because I do care -

I was very saddened by your post, and I will happily talk to you
off-list if you like, if you want to hear what I have to say - you
have my email address.

However, this reply is also to point out that this is not a forum for
personal arguments, especially not with this level of ad-hominem
attack. I am not the only one to find your comments extremely personal
and offensive and that is not fair and certainly not acceptable on
this mailing list.

If we cannot *all* move away from the personal attacks and excessively
confrontational prose then I'm going to turn on moderation. Any post
that seems to dwell on attacking an individual will be sent back to
the author for re-submission. The list was originally globally
moderated, but of those who expressed a preference early this year
most preferred a fully unmoderated list, and so I would like to avoid
moderation at all costs.

If *anyone* has a problem with an individual, make serious attempts to
resolve it privately first. If you really can't sort it out with the
individual and feel its in the public interest to publish your
accusations, I strongly suggest you talk to one or more of the people
currently running the SIG (i.e. Adam Martin, Andrea Philips, or Evan
Jones) or someone at the IGDA (e.g. Jason della Rocca). If you have a
problem with everyone involved in running the SIG and you feel no-one
will listen to you, then its time to put yourself forwards as a new
Chair. Those avenues should be enough for you to find resolution
somehow.

Adam