[arg_discuss] Sony's PSP viral marketing efforts

Adam Martin adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 13 13:15:35 EST 2006

On 13/12/06, Brian Clark <bclark at gmdstudios.com> wrote:

> >Yes. But how much does that really matter?

> Because you'd be rubbing up the concept of ARG with the concept of "bad

> viral marketing" -- something that many consumers would already do. Every

I was assuming a less direct association, and I was questioning to
what extent the self-defined scope of a discipline should prevent
people from cross-pollenating other disciplines. I understand what you
were saying better now - I read it as a more general comment than you
meant it.

> professionals, shrill criticism or "unmasking marketers" doesn't really do

> us a lot of good, does it? Isn't it better instead to advocate best

> practices?

I wasn't specifically advocating this, I was simply responding to your
questioning whether it was out of scope for ARGs.

> >And ... should ARG people feel reticent to jump from discipline to

> >discipline when one of the things many ARGs excel at is jumping

> >rapidly from medium to medium rather than sticking with just one? :)

> That's a straw man argument that no one has made, Adam. I jump from

> discipline to discipline quite a bit and encourage everyone to do that.

Sorry, that was just a flippant remark.

Adam