[arg_discuss] Sony's PSP viral marketing efforts

Adam Martin adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 12 23:25:42 EST 2006

Interesting as possibly the opposite end of the spectrum from a
well-crafted ARG: Sony has been running fake blogs with appallingly
crummy efforts at writing in "street". As one of the commenters wrote:

"I love bees. Yo what is up. Hello to Sony. I'm just testing this out
to see if it will run through a filter and retard my comments. This is
pretty funny. How desperate Sony must be to invent this Web site."

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2006/12/sonys-latest-internet-lie-blog-goes.html
http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/sonylieblog/default.aspx.htm

One thread that keeps coming up in various forms on different
community news sites is that people wish marketers would cease and
desist from this, that they feel their intelligence is insulted, and
that such campaigns should be compulsorily marked with "This is an
advert" (which in some jurisdictions is already the case e.g. with
full page print adverts).

Adam