[arg_discuss] whitepaper:wiki, next version

Colin Gehrig colin at colin.com.au
Tue Dec 12 18:57:38 EST 2006

[mailto:arg_discuss-bounces at igda.org] On Behalf Of Adam Martin

> Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:50 PM

> To: Discussion list of the IGDA ARG SIG

> Subject: Re: [arg_discuss] whitepaper:wiki, next version

> Unfortunately, very little of that is constructive criticism, and much

> of it revolves around misunderstandings about the scope and basis of

> the paper.

<snip>

> Adam

Interesting, I felt that most of it was worth considering. However I
don't know scope and basis for the paper. I looked back through this
email list to see if I could find what the objective was, but couldn't
see it. I read the paper, I couldn't see anything to say what it was.

Then, I thought, "hey wait, don't papers normally have that at the
start?", but I thought of Wendy's comments: "For one thing, a whitepaper
in the IGDA sense isn't an academic or scientific paper." Maybe I was
applying lofty academic standards to this lowly IGDA whitepaper. So I
googled "igda whitepaper". The first result was the 2006 Casual Games
White Paper, and on page 6:

A. Background and Purpose
B. Audience and Scope

I'm afraid I can't accept the argument that it revolves around
misunderstanding, and I'll add the lack of Purpose and Scope to the list
of specious claims that need to be corrected, thanks for pointing that
out.

-colin