[arg_discuss] ARGs as scams?

Tony Walsh tony at secretlair.com
Thu Apr 20 08:37:03 EDT 2006

Beth A. Long wrote:
> Any good examples of people failing to distinguish an ARGs fictionality?

I'm not sure what qualifies as a good example, but there were a couple
of incidents last year that kind of annoyed me (and I'm sorry if anyone
on this list was involved... for what it's worth a lot of people thought
these were brilliant ideas).  Some of you may recall ARGTalk, which
masqueraded as a legitimate ARG news site but turned out to be part of a
game
[http://www.secretlair.com/index.php?/clickableculture/entry/argtalks_bait_and_switch/].
Then there was a case where someone (a fan, apparently) added the
fictional Jamie Kane to the real Wikipedia
[http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/13/bb_punks_wikipedia_i.html].

On a related tangent, I created a mini-site about 5 years ago called
Babies With Beards [http://www.secretlair.com/babieswithbeards/] , which
has since gotten millions of views from around the world -- the premise
of the site is ridiculous, but many people believed that the content was
real.

I suppose this shows that if people are willing to believe babies can be
born with manicured facial hair, then it must be a cakewalk to pass off
well-crafted, reality-based fiction as the truth.

-=-
Tony Walsh
416.367.3132
tony at secretlair.com