[arg_discuss] Communities and resources

Adrian Hon adrian at mssv.net
Tue Apr 11 04:20:43 EDT 2006

On 11 Apr 2006, at 07:07, Guy Parsons wrote:

> Given the nature of ARGs, I wouldn't really expect ARGN to be running
> previews that make critical judgements on forthcoming games.
> Instead, I'd
> see them as opportunities for PM's to inform potential players
> about the
> nature of the game ahead, rather than try and "prove" its overall
> quality.
> What sort of tone will it be? What sort of pace will it operate at?
> What
> type of cool new stuff will you be introducing? I'd have thought
> answering
> these sort of questions is bound to be useful to players.

Yes. Providing that it's accurate, of course, which is always an
issue with features and previews (see 'Republic: The Revolution' as a
case in point). It's not that I have anything particularly against
previews or features, since they are very interesting - as you
mentioned, PXC was effectively previewed before launch. However,
previews still  suffer from exactly the same problems that other
games magazines encounter, and they shouldn't be seen as a panacea.

As I said in my other emails, I think that critical reviews are more
important (again, witness the amount of space and time given to
reviews vs. previews in any games site or magazine). Now, by critical
I don't mean 'negative', I just mean more thorough. Jon said:

"This is no longer an issue of thinking that we need to support the
genre through thick and thin, but instead, is a result of just being
too plain nice, I guess."

and I would agree. I think it's counterproductive at this point to
just try and support the genre by being nice when we have a lot of
players getting burnt playing games that self-destruct; this is a big
issue being discussed at the Meta forums on UF, and arguably it ends
up harming the genre. At the extreme, you can imagine a newcomer to
the genre playing something like Renata Isle or Find Araya and
thinking 'Is this supposed to be a good ARG?' So, it would be nice to
do more regular updates on the progress of ARGs (since in the case of
'ARGs gone bad' you only find out right at the end), but I completely
sympathise with the fact that this would take more time and resources
that ARGN has. I do wonder whether a better model to look at are TV
review sites... typically a review every week!

Incidentally, I did like the most recent PXC article that got some
positive and negative quotes about our new Story So Far as well
though (honestly!) - I think that sort of thing helps us, and it
helps other developers as well.

Adrian

--
Adrian Hon - mssv.net
Executive Producer and Director of Play, Mind Candy