[arg_discuss] [players] Communities and resources

Michael Monello mike at haxan.com
Sat Apr 8 21:14:57 EDT 2006

Jonathan, my post was definitely not a criticism of ARGN. I realize
it is a volunteer effort and I've always felt that it is probably the
most important voice for ARGs today.

I'm definitely going to drop you a line when I'm ready with the next
one, Jonathan -- as I said I have no issues opening up the process to
a writer for a good "launch" feature story.

I realize there is a tendency for PMs to stay way behind the curtain
-- when we launched Audi we really didn't understand where the
boundaries were and whether it was appropriate to connect with ARGN
in advance or not, but I think these things change over time.

The concept of TINAG is a very soft line, in my opinion. I think it
is bad for the genre if those behind a game have to remain completely
hidden until it is over -- there is no other form of media today,
video games, music, books, movies, TV, where the people and companies
responsible have to remain hidden from view until after you bought
it, and it is silly for ARGs to function that way.

I'm not saying there should be monster media blitzes all over giving
all kinds of information out, but I can't imagine committing the kind
of time it takes to play and ARG without knowing who is behind it. I
think that's one reason why so many people get angry over imploded or
poorly designed games -- they don't know who is behind it and so they
dive in expecting the world and when it turns out bad then everyone
is angry.

Best,

Mike
haxan | films | http://www.haxan.com