[arg_discuss] [pm] Commercial vs. Grassroots, Player or PM?

Christy Dena cdena at cross-mediaentertainment.com
Sat Apr 1 01:31:27 EST 2006

Enjoying the thoughts being shared here.

May I also add in this discussion about advertising and art that there is
also the perspective of the two approaches converging? There is a book, for
instance, by Scott Donaton that outlines what he terms "Madison & Vine":

<snip>
>From the sharp decline in CD sales to the fragmentation of network TV
audiences, the business models of the entertainment and advertising
industries are showing severe cracks. Advertising Age editor Scott Donaton--
who coined the term Madison & VineTM--lays out a case for why these
industries will need to converge to survive, overcoming hurdles and creating
business models based on content-commerce partnerships. Madison & Vine
reveals how new technology is disrupting traditional business models, giving
the consumer more control over the product. Donaton explains how these
industries will need to overcome distrust, divergent agendas, and creative
conflicts to form mutually beneficial alliances--or face the threat of
extinction.
</snip>

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071436847/sr=1-1/qid=1143869190/ref=sr_1_1
/104-2833458-4175904?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books

Besides industry, this convergence is observed by academics & artists
(they're not always separate either!). So, in addition to discussions about
semantics there is also the consideration of how the two previously opposing
approaches are merging anyway.

Cheers,
Christy