[arg_discuss] [meta] Introductions

despain at quantumcontent.com despain at quantumcontent.com
Tue Dec 13 03:06:01 EST 2005

Andrea Phillips wrote:
> So who are you guys?

My name is Wendy Despain. I'll admit to being the one who asked Andrea
about doing introductions. It's nice to get to know you all a little.

I came to ARGs by way of building official websites for television shows.
Starting in 1997 and for almost eight years I managed all things Internet
for some Gene Roddenberry and Marvel television projects. We won
advertising awards for our ARG-related methods of bringing in viewers and
getting them to stick to the shows. Most of the suits were on board and
excited about our experiments blurring the lines of reality. We spilled it
over into licensed novels and comics, too.

Then two years ago there was a changing of the guard (a changing of the
suits?) and a tightening of the belt, and the major media company decided
to be more conservative with their web/television efforts and staffing, so
we went our separate ways. The ARG work I did fell into disrepair and then
they took it down entirely. I guess it just adds to my carefully
cultivated air of mystery, but the content was targeted at a hardcore
sci-fi and/or comic audience anyway.

These days I do contract/freelance work and develop some of my own
projects.  I'm also active on IGDA's Game Writing SIG, but I'm happy to
have a more focused group for discussion about ARGs.

Speaking of which, I have a few questions. Should I mention the existence
of this SIG on the game writing mailing list? Or is the idea to only
extend specific invitations until things are more settled?

> put up a page with bios for list members.

Bios and links = good
photos = erm, not so sure

Must maintain cloak of mystery.

Wendy Despain